Here is a live document to help with common questions regarding CBD hemp oil.
There is a form at the bottom of the page to submit a question that hasn’t been addressed.
Also, please be sure to visit our Blog section to read more in-depth articles about CBD, hemp oil, cannabinoids & more.
Spagyric (or Spagyria) is an English word that means ‘alchemy’. Alchemy is over 4 thousand years old and the practice is meant to purify and perfect objects. How it relates to herbal medicine and remedies is through spagyrics. The spagyric process involves fermentation, extraction, purification, recombination and ending up with a raw tincture.
All of this is done without harsh chemicals, only organic alcohol and in vacuum so heat doesn’t destroy medicinal plant elements.
The premise behind spagyrics is 3 alchemical properties: Mercury, Salt & Sulfur. Let’s go into more detail into what they represent:
Mercury: the water element and life essence of the herb/plant and this is done through ethanol extraction.
Salt: the earth element and the mineral salts (see image above) extracted from the plant
Sulfur: the fire element and the oil essence of the plant.
How does hemp spagyric processing work?
(Below is a very simplified process, so please do not try to follow these instructions, as they may cause harm to you or someone else.)
Step two, after our ethanol extraction of the hemp plant material, is to take the leftover plant material and burn it to a white ash (Calcination) to extract the minerals and salts. Then it’s mixed with distilled water, filtered and evaporated to crystallize.
The last step is to take the raw hemp tincture from step one and recombined with the crystallized mineral salts. This product now contains all of the acids, oils and minerals in a purified and concentrated form and it has become a spagyric whole plant full spectrum hemp extract.
We then take this pure and raw complete full spectrum hemp extract and dilute it with fractionated coconut oil (so it doesn’t harden in colder temps) to create the desired potency. We only create high potency hemp oil products as they provide the highest medicinal value.
There are over 100 cannabinoids in the Cannabis Sativa L. hemp plant, but there are 10 that are the most commonly referred to compounds, each having their own unique properties and healing benefits. Below are the most common hemp cannabinoids.
This is why Zion Medicinals ONLY uses full spectrum whole plan hemp extracts in its oils & salves.
- THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) This is the psychoactive element that most people associate with a ‘high’ feeling, but it has medicinal properties as well.
- THC-A (Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid) thc-a converts to thc when the plant is dried, so if you wanted thc-a specific benefits you’d have to juice the plant raw.
- THC-V or THV(Tetrahydrocannabivarin) Only trace amounts found in most hemp strains
- CBN(Cannabinol) Only trace amounts found in most hemp strains
- CBD (Cannabidiol) This compound make up about 40% of the hemp plant’s extract and has a proven impact on anxiety and insomnia as well as helping counteract cognitive impairment associated with cannabis use. This is why most people interchangeably use the terms hemp oil and CBD oil.
- CBD-A (Cannabidiolic Acid) It’s a compound in the trichomes, or resin glands and is a precursor to CBD.
- CBD-V (Cannabidivarin) It’s a homolog of CBD and has been shown to have anti-epileptic and anti-convulsive properties.
- CBG (Cannabigerol) By the time the plant has matured, most of the CBG has been converted to THC & CBD, so there’s usually about 1% left.
- CBG-A (Cannabigerolic Acid) It is known as the the parent molecule or mother cannabinoid as all other cannabinoids are made from it.
- CBC (Cannabichromene) It has antifungal, antiviral & anti-inflammatory properties and to the overall overall analgesic (pain relieving) effects of cannabis.
Now do you see why it’s important to take a full spectrum, whole plant hemp oil as opposed to once made from CBD isolate? I hope this has helped inform you and please feel free to share this information to help others make informed decisions.
What is the entourage effect? Most hemp oils on the market are CBD-only tinctures. On the opposite side of the hemp oil market are full spectrum..
Have you heard of the “Entourage Effect”?
Most hemp oils on the market are CBD-only tinctures. This means they have used CO2 extraction and created a CBD isolate only, and added a carrier oil like coconut or olive. On the opposite side of the hemp oil market are full spectrum hemp products (like Zion Medicinals). We use the whole plant to process and extract the full spectrum of cannabinoids to provide a superior product.
Why is a full spectrum hemp oil more effective and have more medicinal qualities? Because of the ‘entourage effect’. The combination of several cannabis cannabinoids plus naturally occurring terpenes provide a product that is superior to isolates in their medical application as they work better together. How? Every cannabinoid affect multiple targets within the body, improve active ingredients absorption, overcome bacterial defense mechanism, minimize adverse side effects. These cannabinoids (specifically CBD & THC) work with your CB1 & CB2 receptors in your endocannabinoid system (yes, you DO have a cannabinoid system!) to help achieve homeostasis. This CANNOT be achieved with CBD isolate or even broad spectrum hemp oil (CBD isolate with added terpenes).
The Endocannabinoid System
CBD doesn’t ‘fit’ directly with the ECS, but has powerful indirect qualities. THC on the other hand, fits directly with your ECS and specifically CB1 which connects with the brain and nervous system. This is why CBD isolate or broad spectrum hemp oil is not the highest form of hemp medicine.
So if you’re looking for the highest quality, medical grade hemp oil on the market, and want to achieve the coveted entourage effect, look for these things:
- Full spectrum (all natural cannabinoids INCLUDING <0.3% d9THC & terpenes)
- Ethanol extraction (pulls more compounds from the plant than CO2 extraction)
- Organic (look for lab reports showing no pesticides)
- Spagyric (added hemp minerals salts for better bioavailability & medicinal potency
Most people who are familiar with hemp oil interchange its name with CBD oil. What a lot of users are not aware of is another subset of hemp oil call ‘full spectrum hemp oil’. What differentiates full spectrum from the standard CBD oil is the number of cannabinoids in the product. The hemp plant is made up of over 100 cannabinoids (chemical compound), but the 2 most recognized are CBD (Cannabidiol) and THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). There are several other cannabinoids that have medicinal healing properties. The most common are: THC (plus A and V), CBD (plus A and V), CBN, CBG (plus A), CBC. While there is no regulation on how many cannabinoids qualify for ‘full spectrum’ status, Zion Medicinals’ full spectrum hemp extract has 7 cannabinoids to give the user the highest quality and medicinal healing benefits. Research has also found that a combined CBD and THC content product produces what’s called the ‘entourage effect’ and the final products works better together to achieve an enhanced result.